Any family get together that is a BBQ or a special meal for my father in law I know that I will be asked to bring these baked beans. They are his favorite side and if there are any leftover I know who gets dibs on the leftovers.
These really are the perfect easy side to any BBQ or really any yummy lunch or dinner dish. They cook up quick and can be made right before the meal or beforehand and reheated no problem!
Once you have these and see how good and easy they are you will never go back to canned. Promise.
- 4 15.5 oz cans Navy Beans (drained)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 10 strips of thick cut bacon
- Chop or cut bacon into bite size pieces and cook in skillet. Once cooked until lightly crispy drain grease into a container that can be thrown away and let the bacon rest on some paper towels to further drain excess grease.
- Thinly chop onion and cook in the same skillet until soft and starting to caramelize.
- In a stock pot, crock pot, or the even the same skillet if big enough add the beans, ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on medium heat and stir every couple minutes and taste. If you like more tang add a little more Worcestershire sauce. More sweetness, add a little more brown sugar. It should only take 10-15 minutes for the baked beans to heat up and come together.
- Lastly add the cooked bacon pieces and stir to incorporate. You can serve right away and enjoy or make in advance and just heat up when you are ready to eat.