I will admit it has been a hot minute since I have been to Chili’s but whenever I did go this soup was my go to! When Jare and I were poor college students and didn’t go out to eat a lot I developed this and it has been a favorite of ours ever since.
This soup is super filling and hits the spot every time. On its own it is delish but pile on all the toppings and it is a 10!
It just looked so much better artistically to use tortilla strips but honestly a bag of yummy tortilla chips crunched up on top is what our family loves! Use whatever chips your heart desires. Let everyone DIY their own bowl and dig in!
Chicken Enchilada Soup (Chili's Style)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Medium sized onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Masa Harina
- 1 cup water
- 1 10oz can green chile enchilada sauce, mild
- 16 oz grated Monterey and Coby Jack cheese
- 12 oz shredded chicken
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded Cheese
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat up 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium high heat and add chopped onion, sauté until soft. Add minced garlic and sauté with onion for another minute until fragrant.
- In a medium sized bowl combine 1 cup warm water and ½ cup masa harina. Whisk to combine.
- Add masa harina mixture to the onion and garlic and stir. Once combined add enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Whisk together until fairly smooth.
- Turn heat down to medium and add grated cheese and ½ tsp cumin, stir to combine.
- Lastly, add the shredded chicken to soup and add salt and pepper if needed. If you prefer a little more heat you could also add ¼ tsp of chili powder.
- Serve with lots of yummy toppings on top! This soup is delicious on its own but with all the toppings it is a knock out!