Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup made from home in 30 minutes! Just with that I am sold. Not to mention this soup is hearty and unbelievably delicious. Made with simple ingredients this soup is easy to make and tasty enough to win dinner any day of the week.
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR OTHER EASY AND DELICIOUS SOUPS HERE ARE SOME OF MY FAMILY’S FAVORITES!
Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
I will admit it has been a hot minute since I have been to Chili’s but whenever I did go this soup was my go to! When Jare and I were poor college students and didn’t go out to eat a lot I developed this and it has been go to of ours ever since. This is my little 6 year old daughter Grace's absolute favorite soup and she requests it as soon as it starts getting chilly outside.
Ingredients you will need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – the recipe states how to cook the chicken in the instant pot or in the oven and then shredded. Get this going first while you get the rest of the soup cooking.
- Olive oil – Just a small amount goes a long way when sauteing the onions and garlic.
- Yellow onion– The onion in this soup adds a delicious flavor base.
- Garlic – Adds great flavor.
- Green Enchilada sauce– one reason this enchilada soup tastes like enchiladas is this key ingredient. Do not skip this. I use mild sauce because my family prefers low heat but you can use what your family prefers.
- Chicken broth – delicious base liquid for the soup that adds a depth of flavor.
- Masa harina– masa harina is a corn flour that thickens the soup and gives it the flavor that chili's chicken enchilada soup has.
- Shredded cheddar cheese– The original calls for Velveeta but I just don’t use velveeta, processed cheese is just one of those things I can't get myself to do. Instead I use shredded monterey and colby jack cheese.
- Toppings- This soup is delicious on its own but with all the toppings it is a 10/10!! I love to use avocado, cherry tomatoes, pico de gallo, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and tortilla chips.
All the ingredients are simple and should look familiar. The only ingredient that may not sound familiar is masa harina.
What is masa harina? Masa harina is made from dried corn which is soaked in lime and water before being ground into flour. It’s commonly used in the making of tortillas. It can be found in any grocery store and is a crucial part of the recipe so do not leave it out.
How to Make Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup:
- Cook the chicken- Do this very first. As the chicken cooks you will prepare the soup and add it in towards the end. In the recipe I outline two different ways to cook the chicken, one in the instant pot and one in the oven. After the chicken is cooked you will shredded it in the cooking liquid and then add to the soup.
- Saute the onions and garlic- In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and add chopped onion, sauté until soft. Add minced garlic and sauté with onion for another minute until fragrant.
- Prepare masa harina mixture- In a medium sized bowl combine 1 cup warm water and ½ cup masa harina. Whisk to combine. This is the thickener for the soup and adds flavor.
- Add liquids- Add masa harina mixture to the onion and garlic and stir to combine. Once combined add enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Mix together until incorporated.
- Incorporate cheese and spice- Turn the heat down to medium and add shredded cheese and cumin. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Let simmer for several minutes to thicken.
- Add chicken- Add shredded chicken and let simmer on low for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Toppings- Serve with lot of delicious toppings especially tortilla chips. It just looked so much better artistically to use tortilla strips but honestly a bag of yummy tortilla chips crunched up on top is what our family loves! Use whatever chips your heart desires. Let everyone top their own bowl with what they want and dig in!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe:
Add in the raw thawed chicken and top with all the soup ingredients except for the cheese. Mix and cook on low for 7-8 hours (High for 3-4 hours). In the last hour take a fork and shred chicken in slow cooker and add in the cheddar cheese. Mix together. Dish and serve with the toppings as instructed in the recipe.
Frequently asked Questions:
How to store chicken enchilada soup? Place soup in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. This soup can also be frozen for 1-2 months but will lose some of its thickness. Reheat over medium low on stove top and add a little more masa harina to thicken.
Can I spice up this soup to create a little more of a kick? Yes. You could use spicy enchilada sauce, adding ½ teaspoon chili powder, or ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes. Just add one and taste as you go and adjust.
Can I use other cuts of chicken? Yes. I have used chicken breast tenderloins and it cooks the same and tastes great. I have not tried chicken thighs but it would work nice and might even have a bit more flavor.
Where can I find masa harina? You can find masa harina in the ethnic aisle at most grocery stores.
Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chili's chicken enchilada soup made from home in under 30 minutes! Made with simple ingredients this soup is easy to make and tasty enough to win dinner any day of the week!
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup Masa Harina
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 oz) can green chili enchilada sauce, mild
- 16 oz shredded monterey and colby jack cheese
- 1 ½ lb chicken breast, shredded
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortilla Chips
- Cherry tomatoes
- Pico de gallo
- Shredded cheese or cotija cheese
- Sour cream
- Instant pot shredded chicken: Spray the instant pot insert with cooking spray. Place 1 ½ lbs of chicken breasts in the pot and season with generously with salt and pepper. Pour in ½ cup water. Place lid on and set lock to SEAL position. Set instant pot to manual. If chicken is FROZEN set for 12 minutes, if chicken is NOT frozen set for 7 minutes. When the timer goes off and the chicken is cooked, release the pressure by turning the valve on top of the Instant Pot to the VENTING position (be careful as pressurized steam with shoot upward) Once the steam flow has stopped open the lid and shred the chicken in the cooking liquid.
- Baked shredded chicken: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place chicken breasts in a single layer in large baking dish and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour ½ cup water in base of baking dish. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Cooking time will depend on thickness of chicken breasts, so I recommend using a thermometer. The thickest part of the breast should be 160-165 degrees. Once cooked shred the chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking, In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and add chopped onion, sauté until soft. Add minced garlic and sauté with onion for another minute until fragrant.
- In a medium sized bowl combine 1 cup warm water
and ½ cup masa harina. Whisk to combine.
- Add masa harina mixture to the onion and garlic and stir to combine. Once combined add enchilada sauce and chicken broth. Mix together until incorporated.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add shredded cheese and cumin. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add shredded chicken and let simmer on low for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with lot of delicious toppings. This soup is delicious on its own but with all the toppings it is a knockout.
Masa harina is the thickening agent used for this soup, start off with using just ½ cup mixed with 1 cup water. If a thicker soup was desired add little more at a time at the end until the soup reaches desired consistency.
Leave a Reply