Ready in under 10 minutes, this healthy Acai smoothie bowl is filled with superfruit Acai berry puree, fruit, and all your favorite toppings. Easy to make from home and customize how you love. A bowl full of fiber, antioxidants, and heart healthy fats anytime you want.
This is one thing that my family and I seem to have on repeat. Not only for breakfast but for lunch, dinner, or a healthy snack. There are few things more refreshing and satisfying than an Acai bowl.
How Do I Make An Acai Bowl?
Healthy Acai smoothie bowls really are as simple as blending a couple ingredients together, pouring the mixture into a bowl, and adding your favorite toppings. Easy peasy! But here are a few tips:
- Frozen Fruit: All fruit for the smoothie base needs to be frozen. Store bough frozen fruit works perfect! Planning to use fresh fruit? No problem. Plan ahead, cut the fruit up into bite sized pieces, and freeze beforehand.
- Prepare toppings first: Cut up fresh fruit and prepare desired toppings before whipping up the Acai smoothie base. This makes for easy and quick assembly. Then the Acai smoothie wont soften and melt.
- Acai smoothie consistency: Consistency of the Acai bowl is key, you want a thick creamy consistency. To achieve this, make sure all ingredients for the Acai smoothie base are frozen. The colder your ingredients are when put into the blender, the thicker your bowl will be.
- Blending: Make sure that the frozen fruit is broken up into manageable chunks and cut the Frozen Acai berry puree into fourths. This will make it easier for ingredients to blend together. If your blender struggling add a touch more pineapple juice.
- Extra Protein: For additional protein, add about 1/2 a scoop vanilla whey protein powder in blender to combine with acai smoothie base. Don’t add too much as it could effect the texture of the smoothie. Adding almond butter, peanut butter, and chia seeds as toppings will also boost the amount of protein.
Where Can I Buy Acai Puree?
Homemade acai bowls have become so popular that it is fairly easy to find acai berry puree packets in the freezer section of quite a few grocery stores. They will be located either with the frozen fruit or the frozen juice.
To really make these amazing you want good quality acai. My favorite acai packets are the Unsweetened Organic Acai Packets sold at Trader Joes. The Samazon Original Frozen Acai packets you can buy at Costco and Target are good as well.
I have seen other versions of acai in powder form. That will not give you the same texture or taste as the puree. Stick with the puree for these healthy acai smoothie bowls.
Acai Bowl Toppings
The great thing about acai bowls is that they are totally customizable. Toppings elevate each bowl in different ways. You can top your acai bowls with lots of different topping variations, whatever sounds delicious. Add as much or as little as you like. Pile on fresh fruit you love. Add honey, chocolate chips, chia seeds, coconut. Really what sounds best to you!
Don’t underestimate the added value from these other toppings. They add an extra dimension of flavor, different textures, crunch, and sometimes a little extra health benefit.
- Almond butter
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Mini chocolate chips or Cacao nibs
- Chopped almonds
Healthy Acai Smoothie Bowls
- 1 packet Frozen Acai puree
- 3/4 cup Frozen bananas
- 3/4 cup Frozen mangos and strawberries
- 1/4 cup Almond milk
- 1/2 cup Pineapple juice make sure this is 100 pure pineapple juice
Toppings listed below are my personal favorites; add your favorite toppings and desired quantity. (These topping suggestions are for one acai bowl.)
- 1/4 cup Granola
- 1 tbsp Almond butter or peanut butter
- light drizzle of Honey
- 1/2 tbsp Chia seeds
- Fresh fruit - Banana, strawberry, raspberry, mango sliced or chopped into bite sized pieces
- Start by getting desired toppings out and ready. Prepare fresh fruit toppings by cutting into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Take frozen acai puree packet, throw away plastic cover and cut frozen puree into fourths.
- In a blender add acai puree, 1/4 cup almond milk, 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 3/4 cup frozen bananas, and 3/4 cup frozen mangos and strawberries.
- Blend until thick and smooth. The consistency should be thick so you can easily eat with a spoon. If mixture is a little runny add a little more frozen fruit, a little too thick and wont blend add a touch more pineapple juice.
- Pour desired amount into a bowl and top with all your favorite toppings you have prepped and set aside!
- Eat this as soon as you have it assembled and enjoy!
Making Acai Bowls Ahead of Time & Storing Extras
Healthy acai smoothie bowls are best served and eaten right away. The longer they sit the more soupy they become, even if refrigerated. But, there are a couple options to make ahead and store leftover smoothie base:
- Blend acai puree and frozen fruit. Divide into desired portions in ziplock bags or airtight containers, store in freezer. When ready to eat, chop acai smoothie into chunks, add a splash of juice or almond milk and blend quickly. Top with fresh desired toppings.
- Pre-portion acai puree and frozen fruit for acai recipe and store in ziplock bag in freezer. When ready, add liquid ingredients and blend. Top with fresh toppings.
- Made more than you can eat? Remove any toppings, they will not freeze well and become mushy. Transfer smoothie to an airtight container and store in freezer until ready to eat. When ready for a new bowl, lightly thaw and quickly blend in blender. Once back to smoothie consistency, top with fresh desired toppings.
Acai Bowl Health Benefits
Acai is labeled a “superfruit” because it is nutrient dense, packed with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals fiber, and amino acids. There are studies that show that acai fruit pulp is even richer in antioxidants than cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, or blueberries. Acai berries also have a pretty unique nutritional profile for a fruit. They are low in sugar and higher in healthy fats, which is why an acai bowl keeps you feeling full for much longer