This healthy air fryer chicken cordon bleu is a delicious and easy meal ready in under 30 minutes! A great way to serve chicken that feels special but is easy enough for any night of the week.
Growing up I loved the good ole classic chicken cordon bleu but craved a healthier version. I found that using the air fryer and adjusting the ingredients slightly I get the taste that I love with half the amount of fat. Win! Win!
WHY THIS IS AMAZING
- Simple straight forward ingredients- All of these ingredients can be found at any major grocery store.
- Quick and easy- From start to finish dinner can be ready in 30 minutes or less.
- Healthy and delicious- Served with a nutritious side this meal is under 400 calories!
- Chicken Breasts- Thinly sliced or pounded until ½ inch thickness.
- All-purpose flour- Only ¼ cup is needed. You could use whole wheat or white.
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder- These are added to the flour to boost the flavor of the chicken.
- Chicken broth- This is the basis of the sauce .
- lemon juice- ½ to 1 small lemon freshly squeezed.
- Dijon mustard- Only a little is used for the sauce but it really enhances the flavor.
- Thin sliced deli ham- Perfectly fine to use ham from the lunchmeat section or have the deli cut you some fresh slices.
- Ultra-thin swiss cheese- This is what I use but if you prefer baby swiss or even provolone both would work fine.
- Extra virgin olive oil spray- This helps the chicken crisp and brown in the air fryer and also eliminates the use of excess oil.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Here is how to make healthy air fryer chicken cordon bleu.
STEP 1: Prep ingredients and preheat air fryer- Get all your ingredients out and ready, pound chicken breasts if needed and preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
STEP 2: Prepare flour mixture- On a shallow plate add the flour, kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix together and set aside.
STEP 3: Sauce- In a saucepan combine chicken broth, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture. Bring to a boil on medium/high heat and then turn to low and let simmer. This sauce is not meant to be very thick, just enough to coat the back of a spoon.
STEP 4: Dredge chicken- Lightly dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture until lightly dusted on each side. Just before adding to the air fryer spritz each side lightly with olive oil spray.
STEP 5: Air frying chicken cordon bleu- Working in batches if needed, place chicken in basket in a single layer. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping once. 5 minutes per side. Or until cooked through. Top each piece with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese. Return to air fryer and cook at 400 degrees for 2 minutes until ham warms and cheese melts.
STEP 6: Serve and Enjoy- Spoon sauce over each piece of chicken cordon bleu and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Make sure chicken is an even thickness so that the chicken cooks evenly in the airfryer.
- Preheat the air fryer. This will insure that the chicken will be crisp on the outside and cook evenly.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. Only cook enough to have a single layer with just a small amount of space between each chicken breast.
Yes! Simply sub the ¼ cup flour for gluten free flour and check the labels of the rest of your ingredients when purchasing to insure they are gluten free.
Once everything is done, you can add them all back into the basket and heat for 1 minute. Or set the oven to 200 degrees F and keep the food warm while other batches are cooking.
It is not absolutely necessary but, Yes. In most cases preheating helps your recipes get that signature crispiness we all want.
STORING AND FREEZING
The chicken cordon bleu can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400 for 2 minutes.
I would not advise freezing this particular recipe.
- 5 (4 oz) thin sliced chicken breasts or chicken breasts pounded to ½ inch thickness
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 5 slices deli ham, thinly sliced
- 5 slices ultra-thin swiss cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes. If chicken is not thinly sliced pound chicken breasts to an even ½ inch thickness.
- On a shallow plate add ¼ cup flour, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and a pinch of pepper. Mix together and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine 1 cup chicken broth, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ tablespoon dijon mustard, and 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture. Bring to a boil on medium/high heat then turn to low and let simmer.
- Lightly dredge each chicken breast piece in the flour mixture until lightly dusted on each side. Just before adding chicken to air fryer spritz both sides with olive oil spray.
- Working in batches if needed, place chicken in basket in a single layer. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping once. 5 minutes per side. Or until cooked through.
- Top each piece of chicken with a slice of ham and a slice of cheese.
- Return to air fryer and cook at 400 degrees for 2 minutes until ham warms and cheese melts.
- To serve transfer chicken to plates and spoon sauce over each piece. Season with a touch of salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Storage- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 194Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 58mgSodium 473mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 22g
We do our best to provide accurate nutritional analysis for our recipes. The nutritional data is calculated using a third-party algorithm and may vary, based on individual cooking styles, measurements, and ingredient sizes. Please use this information for comparison purposes and consult a health professional for nutrition guidance as needed.