A healthy protein packed snack! These peanut butter energy bites are super easy to make and take less than 10 minutes to put together. Loaded with protein, fiber and healthy fats to keep you full and give you lasting energy throughout the day. Made with only 6 ingredients: peanut butter, old fashioned oats, flax seed, crisp rice cereal, honey and chocolate chips. Peanut Butter Energy Bites have a nice crunch thanks to the rice crispy cereal and have just enough chocolate to have that amazing combo of salty peanut butter and sweet chocolate that you just cant go wrong with.
You may have heard of these referred to as protein balls, power balls or protein bites. Either way they are a healthy pick me up that is the perfect on the go snack to give you energy throughout the day. If you have ever had a G2G protein bar these taste similar. I love G2G bars but I will admit I like these more because of the crunch, size, and overall texture. I add protein powder to mine to boost the protein a little more but that really is optional.
These peanut butter energy bites could easily pass as dessert. When I have these on hand they are the first snack the kids go for when they come home from school. They love them so much I have had to limit my kids to a certain number a day ha.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these No Bake Energy Bites:
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Helps to bind the energy bites together. You can also use your favorite nut butter as well!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love using mini or regular chocolate chips. Dark chocolate chips are also amazing in this!
- Old Fashioned Oats: I prefer to use old fashioned oats or rolled oats in this recipe. I would not recommend making these with steel cut oats or instant oats.
- Ground Flax Seed: Adds a boost of fiber and nutrients. You can find this in the baking isle by the flour. I use Bob’s Red Mill If you don’t have flax seed you could substitute chia seeds or add extra old fashioned oats.
- Crisp Rice Cereal: Adds a great crunch and difference in texture. Name brand or generic brand work just as good here.
- Honey: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these energy balls. Agave can be used in place of the honey.
- Vanilla Protein Powder: You can find this in the nutrition isle in any grocery store or through Amazon. This is optional, but if you are looking for a good way to boost protein this is a great addition and does not negatively effect the flavor or texture.
How to make Energy Bites:
To make these energy bites, simply…
- Stir everything together. Stir all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl or Kitchen Aid until thoroughly combined.
- Portion out. Using a cookie scoop portion out “balls” onto cookie sheet. This recipe makes about 63 portions.
- Chill. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes to firm up and then transfer to airtight storage container.
- Store & Serve. Store in freezer and grab as an easy snack. These will store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If mixture is too dry and not scooping together add a 2-3 tbsp of water and mix together.
- When ready to eat pull out of freezer and let stand on counter for a couple minutes and they will soften. I personally never am patient enough and enjoy them frozen.
- Wanting to double the recipe? Do it! These last for months in the freezer. But you will need to make in two batches if using Kitchen Aid as there will be too much mixture for the bowl. Or mix by hand in a large bowl.
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups rice krispies
- 1 cup flax-seed meal
- 3-4 scoops vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips mini or regular
- 2 cups natural peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup raw honey
- pinch of kosher or sea salt
- Add all ingredients into a bowl of a stand mixer, or any large bowl. If using a kitchen-aid use the paddle attachment and mix on low. Or you can mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate by hand.
- To save on time and keep them uniform scoop out with 1 ½ tbsp cookie scoop onto baking sheet and put in freezer to firm up for several minutes. Once firm transfer to airtight storage container.
- Store in freezer and enjoy anytime. These store in the freezer for up to 3 months.